Macho Spouse: machospouse - Civilian Male Military Spouse, Macho Spouse, Male Spouse, Dad, Father
Skip to MenuSkip to NavigationSkip to Main Content

How To Enroll A Newborn Child In DEERS

image for How To Enroll A Newborn Child In DEERS
Image for How To Enroll A Newborn Child In DEERS – Taurus M. James

If you haven't encountered DEERS yet as a civilian male military spouse, check out this post. If you are a male military spouse and new dad a with a brand new baby, congrats! Here is some info on How To Enroll A Newborn Child In DEERS.

Photo by Jamie Kern on Unsplash

Your Close Encounter with DEERS

Congrats on the newborn! I warned you not to follow my "honeymoonin' script" in my last post.

Seriously, though, congratulations. Now, you want to enroll your newborn in DEERS as soon as possible.

How to Enroll a Newborn Child in DEERS

Taken from: New Born Child – DEERS Enrollment

To enroll a Newborn child in DEERS, the following documents are required:

1. MUST present Child's Certificate of Live Birth letter from U.S. hospital ~OR~ Child's Birth Certificate (Original copy with file number) ~OR~ Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS Form FS-240) for enrollment/initial issue of ID card

2. Child's Social Security Card (original, not laminated); If no social security card has been issued yet, a temporary ID number will be assigned to the child. The sponsor will have 90 days to provide the actual social security card to any DEERS office. Failure to do so will result in a Direct Care suspension through TRICARE.

3. Marriage Certificate of the Newborn Child's parents if not in DEERS

4. Sponsor - Two (2) forms of valid unexpired identification, one form MUST be a photo ID. Enrollment should be accomplished as soon as possible preferably within 30 days of birth so not to delay acquiring medical appointments for the child. All documents must be original or a true
certified copy. 

Lingo Alert: Sponsor = your spouse, the active duty service member

Service members from other branches of service are also reminded to notify their personnel office of the any change in their child's status as a dependent. Each branch of service may have different requirements for active duty, reserve and retirees; please contact the center for more
information. The sponsor may complete the DD Form 1172-2 for spouse to add the Newborn Child into DEERS.

Note: Children under the age of 10 are not required to be issued an ID card. (Exceptions are if the sponsor is a Single Parent, Dual Military Couple, or the child is residing outside the sponsor's home. ID cards are issued for a period of four years or less.)

Leave a Tip!

What's your best tip for a new civilian male military spouse? Leave a tip in the comments!


Taurus M. James Male Military SpouseTaurus James is the 2016 Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year from Wright Patterson Air Force Base.  Taurus is a 20-year civilian male military spouse and stay-at-home-dad. He is also a minister and composer of Moody Instrumental Music. Taurus is a professional IT Consultant and Web Developer, and he built and maintains the website for free. Find out more about Taurus through his blog:

"Faithwalk Music: Faith, Music and Life of a Moody Instrumental Musician"

See for more!

Topics: DEERS military spouse newborn child military benefits TRICARE